Embroidery thread in different colors (you can buy variety packages of embroidery floss), pens, glue, tooth picks, scissors, and a healthy dose of imagination are all that’s required to craft these embroidered pen pals.
My assistant Carol even made them for members of her writer’s group. She told me, “I was faced with blank-page blues and ran away to my craft room.”
Super simple and cute! No embroidery needle (or skills) necessary.
Crystal Rondelles, Industrial Chic™
Embroidery Thread – Variety Color Pack
Rhinestones, Wire and other beads for embellishing
Paper on my work surface
Water in a Water Bottle Cap
Empty Egg Carton (for sticking pens in as you make them)
You can make hair long or short, in one braid or two, string beads for dreadlocks, and make curls.
Bangs: Cut five short pieces of thread. Use a toothpick to apply glue to top of head and forehead. Apply bangs before applying other hair.
Long curls: cut about 6 inch lengths of the desired color of thread (at least 7), wet it, wrap it around a toothpick and set aside to dry. Once dry, simply slide the thread off the toothpick.
Tip: Hair is easier to manage if you tie it in the center. When you glue it on, make sure your knot is at the bottom.
1. Choose the color thread you want for the face.
2. Dab about a ½ inch of glue onto one side of the pen at the flat top. (You can also use round pens.)
Tips: You really only need the glue on one side as some will try to seep through the thread if you use too much. It does dry clear.) Note your spot by starting on the side with the manufacturers logo.
3. Wind thread around.
4. Chose the color for the blouse.
5. Dab glue on side the length you want the blouse or dress.
Wind thread around—one color or multicolor.
Tip: If you wind several strands at once it takes less time.
6. Dab glue on the side the length you want for the skirt.
7. Wind thread.
8. Break a toothpick in half for the arms and glue one to each side.
9. Use another toothpick and dab glue on the back between the toothpick arms.
10. Wind thread around for the sleeves and to make shoulders—you can use the same color you used on the blouse or a contrasting color.
11. Glue on hair.
12. Crown you Queen or Princess by adhering rondelle with glue.